||57° 58° 53°. On 27 February 1656 Norway´s first lighthouse beacon was lit on Lindesnes. It consisted of 30 candles on top of a three story tower. Even if the candles were replaced by a coal light the same autumn, continual complaints from seafarers caused the King to order the light to be extinguished after only a few months.
Not until 69 years later, in 1725, was the function of the lighthouse resumed. It was then decided to have two lights at Lindesnes, to avoid confusion with the light at the Skaw. Until 1844 there were therefore coal lights both at Neset and at Markøy, 4 kilomteres northwest.
Pulpit Rock | Holmenkollen | Henningsvær | Reine | Hamnøy
Kabelvåg | Kristiansund | Ålesund | Bergen | Lindesnes
Molde | Bodø | Risør | Lyngør | Stavern | Drammen