HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum




Menu

















circle.k

 Vikersund
 Geithus
 Åmot

The Royal Blaafarveværk was established in 1773 to extract cobalt ore from the local mines. The cobalt was to be used in the production of cobalt blue pigment for the world´s porcelain and glass industry. Today it is a museum in pleasant surroundings with many attractions. The cobalt mines are seven kilometres from Blaaafarveværket and Haugfoss.

The national Theodor Kittelsen´s museum: Paintings and wooden sculptures present this major artist with magnificent interpretations of nature and trolls in the deep woods. They were started in 1773 and closed down 1893. In 1993, His Majesty King Harald reopened them as a museum showing an extensive mining industry in beautiful agricultural surroundings. A whole community, with houses, roads and schools grew up around this part of the cobalt industry.

The Blaafarveværket is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the country. We know that industrial activity has been pursued here since the early 16th century, when the king´s sawmills at Kongsfossen were in operation. Later, the Blaafarveværket set its stamp on the area for 120 years, from 1776 to 1898. The pulverizing plant and the meltery used water-power at the Haughfossen rapids.



 Åmot
 more video Buskerud Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures.  Vikersund