HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum




Menu

















marine harvestSalMarroyal salmonfriele coffe

 Boknafjord

Kvitsøy is the smallest municipality in Norway (in area). Kvitsøy municipality is situated 3.7 km2 northwest of the coast of the Stavanger. The largest island is connected with only a few of the other islands in the archipelago.

Kvitsøy is first mentioned in the Snorre Saga, where Snorre records a truce being made between King Olaf II of Norway later to be known as St. Olav (Hellige Olav) and Erling Skjalgsson, under the stone cross. Later it seems that the islands was owned by the Church until the reformation in 1536 (from Roman Catholic to Lutheranism), when it became Crown property.

In 1591 the population had become large enough to fund the raising of a church, which is still standing and the first new church in the county after the reformation. From the mid 18th century Kvitsøy was the location of one of the first navigation beacons in western Norway, and this was later converted to a lighthouse service. To this date it is the home of the region´s naval navigation service.

The islands are completely engulfed by the Gulf Stream and hence have a typically wet Nordic coastal climate. The sea between the islands and the mainland are never frozen. There are no larger mammals except seal (kobbe) and small dolphins (nise). The islands have a rich marine bird life. Many different plants are found on the islands. Some are natural to Norwegian flora, while others have been transported by ships emptying their hulls of ballast before entering Stavanger.



 Kvitsøy
 more video Rogaland Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Stavanger  Stavanger