HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum




Menu

















Kongsberg groupSalMaraker solutionsadvertising gonorway

 
Rørosmuseet

Olav´s Mine is situated in the Storwartz area where Røros Copper Works (1644 – 1977) operated many mines. The area is a part of World Heritage Røros Mining Town and The Circumference.

Olav´s Mine was Røros Copper Works main mine from 1937 until 1972, and the last mine to be worked in this district. During the period of operation 1,131 million tons of rock, with an average copper content of 1.39% yielded 15,720 tons of copper. The copper ore was transported by an overhead bucket and cable system to the floatation works at Nedre Storwartz. It was then processed into copper concentrate and transported to the smelter in the town of Røros.

When production at Olav´s Mine was stopped it had reached a depth of 90 meters. and it extended underground over an area of 150 acre or approximately 38 acres. To gain access to Olav’s Mine, one has to pass Nyberget Mine which is the Copper Works next oldest mine worked from 1650. Olav´s Mine is inter-connected with Nyberget Mine and Nye Solskinnet Mine. The three mines have extensive underground workings and many kilometres of mine tunnels. Many traces of both old and more modern mining methods are clearly visible here.

Olav´s Mine was opened to the public as a museum in 1979. The museum building was opened by King Olav V in 1981. Røros Museum is responsible for maintaining the visitor´s mine and museum and for disseminating knowledge about the mine´s history.



 Røros
 more video Sør Trøndelag Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Røros  Røros