homeaboutvarioustop destinationseventsdead or alive, famous norwegianstream, feed




Menu

















marine harvestSalMarlerøy, leroey

 Kristiansand Zoo

Kristiansand Cathedral (Kristiansand domkirke) is a cathedral in Kristiansand municipality located in the Kvadraturen area in the central part of the city of Kristiansand. The church is the main church for the Kristiansand domkirken parish and it is the seat of the Kristiansand arch-deanery within the Diocese of Agder og Telemark. The cathedral is also the seat of the Bishop of Agder and Telemark. The brick church was completed in 1885 and it is one of the largest cathedrals in Norway. This cathedral is the fourth church and third cathedral to be located on this site over the centuries.

The cathedral is in the same location as three previous buildings. The first, called Trefoldigetskirken (Trinity Church), was built in 1645 and it was a small wooden church. When Kristiansand was appointed the seat of the diocese in 1682, construction began on the town´s first cathedral, called Vor Frelsers Kirke (Our Savior´s Church). That first cathedral, built in stone, was consecrated in 1696, but burned down in 1734.

The second cathedral, consecrated in 1738, was destroyed by a fire that affected the whole city, on 18 December 1880. The current, larger cathedral was consecrated in 1885. When the 1940 Nazi attack on Kristiansand took place early in the morning of 9 April 1940, the 70 metre tall cathedral tower was hit by an artillery shell, which damaged the upper part.



 Kristiansand
 more video Vest Agder Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Kristiansand  Kristiansand