||KVERNES STAVE CHURCH
This one-nave stave church may have been built as early as the 1200´s. When it was rebuilt in 1633, the nave´s front door was moved from the west side to the south side of the church. It was rebuilt in 1776 and 1810, with the presently standing tower being erected at the latter date. In 1894 the Kvernes stave church was sold to The Association of Historical Relics.
Kvernes was an ancient holy site, where the heathen Norsemen came to pray to their gods and bury their dead. This holy site was prominently and centrally located for everyone which came by boat from the islands in the area.
Kvernes Stave Church is located in Averøy.