HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum
Search

Quicksearch

Menu

















Folldal


Folldal in Norway Folldal municipality coat of arms

Population:
1,597

Areal:
1.275,3 km2


Folldal Local Directory


Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Folldal

Folldal municipality is a parish of approximately 1.675 inhabitants and a area of 1.275,3 km2, in Nord-Østerdal. Situated between Rondane National Park and Dovrefjell National Park. The history of Folldal is closely identified to the mining activities, that started in 1748 and left its mark on the everyday life in Folldal until 1970, when it was shut down. Today Folldal Mining Establishment (Stiftelsen Folldal Gruver) is managing the old mining constructions. Besides the fact that Folldal also is an agricultural parish, they have in the recent years been working to create new places of work. The municipality's coat-of-arms symbol is a mining tool.

FOLLDAL CHURCH

The first church was constructed in 1751. Before that, people had to go to Dovre or Lilleelvedalen (now Alvdal) for church ceremonies. The church was a cross church, and the tower was over the central part. It was broke down in 1881, and replaced by a "longchurch". The altar piece is from the old church, but it is said that it originally came from an old church in Fron parish. An inscription says: "Payed 1676 to the honor of God by Mr. Brede Hammer and Maren Friis, also Christen Hansen Smidt and Else Jensdatter Plade".

DALEN CHURCH

Dalen kyrkje at Dalholen was constructed in 1935, but even in 1915 there was consecrated a graveyard at this site, and put up a belfry. The belfry was broke down when the church was constructed, and the bells were moved to the church tower. Dalen and Slåen women's club stood up for the church to be built. The altar piece was made by Olav Solgard and decorated by Ragnvald Einbu.

EGNUND CHAPELL

Egnund kapell (chapel) was constructed in 1975 as a gift to the people of Egnund district from Magne Mortensson. It's situated near the border between Folldal and Alvdal, in quiet surroundings in the wood. The graveyard existed many years before the chapel was built. The bell tower is above the nave, so that the clerk stands in the middle of the congregation when drawing the ropes.

UPPIGARD STREITLIEN

Uppigard Streitlien is not a very old farm. This parish museum was created by doctor Anton Raabe and the actress Tore Dyveke Segelcke in the period of 1942 to 1957. Most of the buildings are from Folldal, but some of them have been moved from neighbouring parishes. In 1975 the property was sold to Folldal municipality, and today it is Folldal's parish museum. Uppigard Streitlien is delightfully situated with a grand view towards the mountains of Rondane. The village museum at Uppigard Streitlien contains of two parts. One is the Raabe courtyard as mentionned above, and the other one is the Folldal courtyard. The idea of building a Folldal courtyard, was to show how most people in Folldal used to live. The courtyard was opened in 1994.

WATER SAW

The water saw by the stream Mellombekken is owned by Folldal municipality, and it's possible to have a demo in cutting shingle (has to be arranged in advance).

THE POET COTTAGE

The poet cottage at Egg is situated nearby the farm where the author Ivar Mortensson Egnund (1857-1934) grew up. He was an editor to the newspaper "Fedraheimen", he was a vicar, translated Edda and a part of the Bible to New Norwegian (one of Norway's two official written languages), and wrote many books.

RYENG SCHOOL

Ryeng school was constructed in 1898 on the Ryeng farm's property. The school was in use for 50 years, and consists of one class room and a little room for the teacher's family.

THE MILL

The mill at the Kvita stream was constructed in 1870, and belongs to the Borkhus farm. It consists of two mills, and the restoration was finished in 1996, after many years of work. The restoration was a cooperation between Frederiks Gave Historical Society, Øvre Folldal Utmarkslag and the owners.

FOLLDAL MINING WORKS

It has been mining activities in Folldal since 1748 until it was closed down a few years ago. There's now a mine museum at the area, with more than 60 buildings, and a mine train runs 600 metres inwards the old mine. In the mine is "Worms Hall", a room that holds up to 100 persons. It's possible to get meals served, and because of the good acoustics concerts can be arranged here as well. Folldal Mining Establishment has an archive that is a treasure for those who are interested in technical industrial prehistoric monuments, mining history and labour history. At the mining area there's a cultural path showing the technical aspects of the mining operations as well as the social conditions since 1904.

Other monuments belonging to Folldal:

The grain barn at Borkhus
Smithy, cow barn and tar pan at Tangmoen
Worker's apartment at the mine works.