HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum
Search

Quicksearch

Menu

















Os


Os in Norway Os municipality coat of arms

Population:
1,991

Areal:
1.040,5 km2


Os Local Directory


Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Os

The municipality of Os coveres a total area of 1.040,5 km2 and has approximately 2.100 inhabitants. Os centre is 600 metres over sea level and lies at Glomma at the foot at Håmmålsfjellet mountain. Beside Os lies the small villages Dalsbygda, Narjordet, Narbuvoll (40 inhabitants) and Tufsingdalen (170 inhabitants) in the municipality. The open mountain terrain in Os have a ski centre´s at Hummelfjell. Alpin skiing is popular in Os. Hummelfjell has a area for beginners and children. 63% ofthe area is mountain and naked meadow, and only 2% is cultivated soil. The landscape of Os is featured by large variations. From scanty, particular moraine landscape in the East to the vigorous, lime containant chalet valleys in the North West. The municipality has a variaty of cultural monuments. One can find the remains of settlement, hunting and catching as far back as the stone age.

OS MUSEUM

Os Museum was established in 1938. It is a museum of cultural history, and the museum objects are preserved in their place of origin. The museum is owned and operated by the Municipality of Os. It has entered into an area of responsibility of "The Museums Glomma river valley and Northern tributary districts".

THE BROFOSS ELECTRICITY WORKS

In 1914 an advantage group at Mosengen started the planning of a new electricity works. The works was finished and put into operation the Christmas of 1916. At its peak the electricity works produced 30.000 Kilo Watt hours per year. This was not a lot, but enough to supply the neighbourhood with light and electricity. An information of curiocity: electricity fees where paid according to the number of lamps. The fee was kr 2,50 per lamp per year, and the maximum allowed size of bulbs was 25 Watt.

Even after the Glomma River Valley Electricity Works hooked up to the electricity network in 1955 - 56 the turbines at the Brofoss Electricity works supplied electricity to the sawmill across the river until the 70's. The works is restored. It is owned by the North Glomma River Valley Electricity Works, but is at Os Museum's disposition.

ODDENTUNET

The Oddentunet is situated at Narjordet, and is the Os museum primary attraction. The main building was protected as late as the 70's. The main building was built early in the 18th century, and is influenced by the city architecture of Trøndelag. The building is an extended "Glomma river valley cottage. The exterior is paneled with a charachteristic arch and window frames. Both the interior and exterior carpenting dekor as well as parts of the furniture is designed and produced by the master carpenter "Høs Lars" from Nøra.

In 1822 and 1826 Sønvis O.Holemoen decorated the house richly. Holemoen was originally from Nøren in the municipality of Os, but operated in the entire North Glomma river valley area together with Ola A. Beitdokken from Gudbrandsdalen. The Odden farm was situated in the main artery between Røros, eastwards past the lake of Femunden to Dalarne in Sweden. The handsome farm must have made a great impression on travellers of 150 years ago. It is worth mentioning that the Odden was inhabitted until as recently as 1967. A post office also existed on the farm until it was vacated.

THE HÅMMÅLVOLL STOP

In the late 80's the NSB (Norwegian state owned railroad company) was about to clear away several old railroad buildings, the old railroad stop at Håmmålvoll was saved from destruction. The Museum of Os took responsibility for the building, restored it, and made it a part of their collection. The style of architecture is Swiss, and the building was originally built in 1915.

THE GRINDING MILL

The grinding mill is the only preserved example of the sort in the municipality of Os. The house was built in the 1850's, and was used by several farms in the Narjordet neighbourhood. Inscriptions on the mill door tells us that the grinding mill was used in the spring when the brook contained a lot of water. Only in the 1950's was the house bought by the Røros museum, and moved to Doktortjønna by Røros. In 1984 an agreement was made between the Museum of Os and the Røros museum to bring the grinding mill back to its place of origin, by Røbekken.

NARBUVOLL SCHOOL

Narbuvoll school was built in 1876, and was in operating function as late as 1955. In the early 70's it was decided that the house no longer could remain in its place of origin, as the area was to be brought under cultivation. The house was demounted and stored a few years before it, in 1973, was decided to rebuild the school house close to where it was originally placed. The school building was made a cultural monument. Today the building is restored and furnished as a school museum in the vicinity of Narbuvoll church.