Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Østre Toten
Østre Toten muncipality has approximately 14.500 inhabitants and covers a area of 561,8 km2. Farming and forestry have always been important for settling and employment in Østre Toten. Østre Toten is one of the Oppland´s most productive farming municipalities. Østre Toten is Norway´s largest producers of potatoes and onions. This is reflected in the municipality´s coat-of-arms, which displays a potato plant. Among the most notable landmarks are the Hoff stone church and the rock carvings at Glemmestad near Kapp, now displayed in the Toten Museum.
The KIMs factory (which produces potato chips) is located at Skreia and was invented there. KIMs is a brand of chips and snacks, owned by the Orkla Group.
The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Lena. Although some residences are widely spread, most people live in the villages of Skreia, Kapp, Kolbu, Lensbygda and Lena.
Østre Toten is bordered to the west by Vestre Toten, to the north by Gjøvik, as well as by Hurdal and Eidsvoll. The highest peak is Torsæterkampen with a height of 841 metres (2,759 ft).
PEDER BALKE CENTER
The Peder Balke Center is a gallery and culture center, established in 1986. Through the dissemination of contemporary contemporary art and cultural history, the gallery has become an important exhibition venue for Eastern Norway. Østre Toten owns and operates the center. Through its beautiful location with panoramic views of Mjøsa, the Peder Balke Center is an attractive destination.
A listed 17th-century main building, with a restored baroque garden outside, houses the gallery. Here, in this house at the official Billerud at Kapp, Peder Balke (1804 - 1887) painted a series of 12 large murals in 1833/1834. Most of these are found in the Balke Hall, which is the main attraction of the old, peaceful main building.
Mjøsa is Norway´s largest lake, as well as the one of the deepest lakes in Europe, after Hornindalsvatnet. From its southernmost point at Minnesund to its northernmost point in Lillehammer it is 117 km long. At its widest, near Hamar, it is 15 km wide.
The cities of Hamar, Gjøvik, and Lillehammer were founded along the shores of the lake. Before the construction of railways past the lake, it was an important transport route. Today, aside from minor leisure boating and the steamship Skibladner, there is no water traffic on the lake. Most of its shores are dominated by rolling agricultural areas, among them some of the most fertile grainlands in Norway. From the south European route E6 runs along the eastern shore of the lake until the Mjøsa Bridge connects Moelv on the east with Biri on the west.
HOFF STONE CHURCH
Hoff stone church (Hoff kirke) is a stone church outside Lena. Hoff stone church was built around the 11th century. Hoff church is similar in construction to the old cathedrals at Hamar, Nikolai Church in Gran, Old Aker Church, and Ringsaker Church. The joint model for these churches was the historic Hallvards Cathedral, the main church of medieval Oslo. After 1658, Hallvards Cathedral was demolished with only ruins left of the former cathedral in Oslo
.Hoff stone church was built of limestone. The church has been restored several times, including 1508, 1703 and lastly in 1952. The remodel in 1703 resulted in structural changes. The entire tower and the nave were removed and aisles walls built higher.
The church has a distinctive collection of paintings dating from the late 17th century. The church has a gallery and a total of 332 seats. It is known for its excellent acoustics and is often used for concerts. Hoff Church is associated with the Church of Norway, Østre Toten Parish Council of the Diocese of Hamar which covers Oppland and Hedmark.
Golfclubs in Oppland.