The funkis-restaurant lies on a hill with a panorama view overlooking Oslo, approximately 10 minutes by Taxi from the Central Station. Right down from the restaurant lies the new Opera House at Bjørvika by the architechtfirm Snøhetta and the Middle Age park.
In 1927 the Oslo architect Lars Backer won a competition to draw the new Ekebergrestaurant. The old one was build in 1916 by Tiedemanns Tobakksfabrikk. In 1929 was the funkis-building ready to use.
In the 90´ the restaurant was closed down and was in a bad condition when Christian Ringnes baught it. He used 40 million NOK into the rehabilitation of the dilapidated funkis-building. Christian Ringnes is by family the owner to Ringnes Brewery started by the Ringnes brothers from Krødsherad. The inhabitants and visitors to Oslo, can now enjoy a Ringnes beer and have a amazing view at the same time on the roof of Oslo.
The new restaurant has retained the Functionalist-style and is decorated sparsely yet tastefully inside. Huge windows and lots of light and lots of different areas to sit and hang out. Downstairs, there is a lounge area and a restaurant area. Upstairs, a bar with a spacious balconey and a fireplace area. There are also rooms for larger parties and weddings.