Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Askim
Askim muncipality is the largest population centre in Indre Østfold with approximately 14,900 inhabitants and covers a area of 68,9 km2. Askim is the center of the region. It lies next to the longest river in Norway, Glomma. Askim is located in the exact middle of Østfold, not far from cities and towns like Oslo, Ski, Moss, Fredrikstad, Sarpsborg and Halden. Askim is therefore quite central with both rail and the main highway E18 running through the municipality.
Askim has traditionally been a municipality characterised by primary industries, in which farming and forestry have been principal employers. However, these primary industries are gradually employing fewer people, and it has gradually developed into a center for refined production and commerce. Askim has some big corner-stone companies like Glava (insulation related products) i and Gresvig (sports-wear and equipment).
Askim produces large amounts of hydroelectricity at three dams. From upstream to downstream: Solbergfoss Powerstation, Kykkelsrud Powerstation and Vomma Powerstation. There was nickel mining at Kykkelsrud at the turn of the 20th century. These mines are also one of the few places where "kulenoritt" is found.
We have the regional cultural center (Askim Kulturhus), and one of the largest and popular swimming complexes in Norway (Østfoldbadet)! You can also experience mine tours in Romsåsen and Askim´s historical museum and the 900 years Askim Church.
Fossum Bridge is a road bridge in Askim, crossing the river Glomma. The old wooden bridge, an arch bridge with two spans, opened in 1856. The bridge was partly destroyed in a battle in 1940. The current bridge dates from 1961, and is a suspension bridge with a main span of 125 metres. See the floodstone at Fossum Bridge.
Glomma, Norway´s longest river. At various points the river has created super beaches ideal for bathing and different forms of boating sports. Glomma is one of Norway´s best rivers for fishing, and in the currents by the bridge anglers can catch many kinds of fish including trout. The numerous lakes and rivers in the district are also worth trying. It is possible to enjoy the open-air life the whole year round in many different ways. Perch, pike and different variety of carp are the dominant species. They are more numerous in the slower water of the watercourse and in the estuaries where the tributaries join. Here perch and pike can reach a considerable size.
In parts of the Glom where the current is strongest, and downstream from power station dams, large trout can be found. The access to fishing along the Glomma varies. Cultivated land and undergrowth restrict access and fishing from land in many places. On both sides of the river there is a comprehensive road system. From the roads, and where the bridges cross the river, it is often possible to reach suitable fishing places. Good local knowledge is important, therefore talk to the locals! Fishing along the main watercourse is regulated to a small degree.
The site of Askim Museum is on the ground belonging to the former Grøtvedt farm. This was one of the oldest farms in the parish, and it lay in a central position. An ancient road followed the incline above the farm eastwards towards Askim Church and the drive up to the entrance of the museum is also a part of an ancient road northwards to Onstad ferry over the River Glomma. The actual site of the museum was Groetvedt`s burial ground and the burial mounds there are probably from the late iron age. Up until the 1920s, the National Day, 17th May, was celebrated where an old merchant`s house (Kjøpmannsgården) and the caretaker`s house now stand.
The buildings in the museum are placed as they would have been on a middle-sized farm in the mid-19th century. They stand in a square round a farmyard with the entrances to the buildings all facing the yard. A farm like this would have had about 15-20 ha. cultivated land and about the same amount of woodland. Askim Museum is owned and run by the Askim Historical Society.
Lierstua is the farmhouse. It was moved from Lier, a farm in the north of the parish, in 1943. It was originally built at the beginning of the 19th century. The date 1818 is carved in one of the timbers. The ground floor consists of the kitchen and the parlour. One of the rooms on the first floor has been laid out as a schoolroom with equipment from Askim`s first school in Klokkergaarden (the Deacon`s House) at Henstad.
Vrangenstua stood originally on a tenant labourer`s piece of ground (Husmannsplass) at Søndre Skjolden and has its name from the neighbouring waterfall - Vrangenfossen. Between the two world wars, it was the haunt of walkers and skiers from Askim until the sports club built their own cabin, Skansehytta. At the beginning of the 20th century the tenant of Vrangenstua was a carpenter. He had his workbench and lathe in the kitchen, as it is placed in the museum. The cottage was moved to the museum in 1946.
The Store House (Stabburet) was built around 1830 and was part of Kykkelsrud Farm. When the museum acquired the building in 1937 it was twice the size, but when it was rebuilt on the present site a newer part was omitted as it belonged to a much later period.
The Stable, barn and cowshed. The stable and cowshed, built around 1860, are from South Maseng and remained in use until 1959. The buildings, with their original fittings, were moved to the museum in 1960. The barn which comes from Greater Torp was built in 1850. The whole building is in typical Østfold style with a high barn in the middle and lower parts at either end which house the stable and the cowshed.
The Privy (Doen) was normally placed beside, or inside, the cowshed. This one came from the vicar`s farm. The Smithy and Shoemaker`s Workshop. This building was originally the cowshed at Holterenga School, but since no farm forge has been preserved in Askim, the Historical Society fitted it out as a smith and shoemaker`s workshop in 1964. The Potato Cellar was built from old timber in 1967, after a plan for a cellar on Vammeli Farm.
The Summer Cowshed is from Onstad Farm and was moved to the museum in 1979. A summer cowshed was traditionally used when the grazing land was some distance from the farm so that the cows could be milked without being driven home.
The Summer House (Lysthuset) is from the vicarage. It appears on the oldest preserved photograph from Askim. It stood west of an old 13th century stone church which was pulled down in 1876. The summer house was built by the Danish born priest Hans Iacob Hiort and his wife Iohanne Eva Hjort. There is a weather vane on the roof with the inscription I E. H.- H I H 1787 and the decor on the inside of the two doors depicts two soldiers on guard. The summer house was moved to the museum in 1979.
The Watch Tower (Vakttårnet). During the 2nd World War the Germans built a 5 metre high watch tower in the Askim market place. This was to hinder sabotage to the neighbouring rubber factory. The top of the tower was placed at the museum in 1945 but it burned down in 1988 due to children playing with matches. The structure now standing there is a true copy of the original.
The Merchant`s House (Kjøpmannsgaarden) was moved to the museum in 1975-76 from the centre of town. The oldest part of this building was originally the "husmannsplass" Bjerkerud on Oraug Farm. In the 1850s Johannes Bergersen began a small trading post in his house. When the new main road to Kristiania (Oslo) was opened in 1857, Mr. Bergersen moved his house to be beside the main road. Two more stories were added to the building and after the 1880s it was only used as a dwelling house. At the museum the ground floor is fitted out as a village store, an office and the storekeeper`s parlour. The first floor is used as an assembly room. A collection of pictures from former days Askim can be seen here.
Resthouse and forge. This originates from the 1930s when the Askim Municipal Council drove a gravel quarry to give work to the unemployed. The caretaker`s house now stands on the site of the old quarry.
Ødegaard barn. In the years after the railway came to Askim in 1882, several houses were built around the station. Most of these had a small barn with a cowshed. All of these have now disappeared, except the one belonging to Christian Ødegaard, a former member of the Norwegian parliament and who was responsible for the maintainance of the railway line.
The Archives and Randulfstua. In 1998 Askim Historical Society built a new archive and assembly rooms. The objects belonging to the museum are catalogued and stored in the archives. The assembly room has been given the name "Randulfstua" (Randulf`s room) called after Randulf Kure, who was the leader of the historical society for many years and an enthusiast for the well-being of the museum. The "Randulfstua" has become a popular locality for parties and meetings which, in turn gives an important income towards the upkeep of the museum.
Glomma is one of Norway´s best rivers for fishing, and in the currents by the bridge anglers can catch many kinds of fish including trout. The numerous lakes and rivers in the district are also worth trying. It is possible to enjoy the open-air life the whole year round in many different ways. Perch, pike and different variety of carp are the dominant species. They are more numerous in the slower water of the watercourse and in the estuaries where the tributaries join. Here perch and pike can reach a considerable size.
Askim Golfclub is a golf course with 9 holes and a variation of difficulties. The course lies approximately 1 km from Askim City Center.