HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum
Search

Quicksearch

Menu

















Marker


Marker in Norway Marker municipality coat of arms

Population:
3,613

Areal:
412,9 km2


Marker Local Directory


Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Marker

Marker muncipality has approximately 3.500 inhabitants and covers a area of 412,9 km2. Farming and forestry have always been important for settling and employment in Marker. The muncipality administrative center lies at Ørje also called Slusebyen. Every year the Festival Gate, with the market, jazz concerts, boat rides and activities for the whole family. There are a number of cultural monuments and sights. Cultural activities and cultural experiences of all kinds! A variety of clubs and associations.

There are ample opportunities for outdoor recreation. Here are the perfect place for nature - you are fishing, have opportunities for hunting and other outdoor activities like canoeing, swimming, cycling, etc. Mountains is a nice area with trails for both summer and winter. There are also many picturesque lakes and water.

The main attractions are Gjølsjø is called the Svanlake (Svanesjøen) a naturereservation for birds. The big forrest between Øymark, Eidsberg and Rakkestad is called Fjella. The borderarea around Rødenessjøen, Nordre Fortress, Basmo Fortress, Rødenes Church, Klund Church, Øymark Church, Ørje Locks, Kroksund Ferry, Otteidkanalen, Ørje Brug (mill) and Bassmo Fortress. Basmo Fortress lies on an isolated mountain outcropping between the lakes Rødenessjøen and Hemnessjøen in the northwestern part of the municipality.

LINNEKLEPPEN MOUNTAIN

Linnekleppen is the highest peak in the Mark with 325 meters above sea level and is the highest in the county of Østfold. Located at the municipal border of Rakkestad.

BASMO FORTRESS

At the end of the 1600s began building a series of fortifications on the main roads of Sweden. It was the so-called "Oplandske,Fortresses: Basmo fortress, bulwark Blaker, Skogn bulwark, and Christian Brothers at Elverum. The then main road between Stockholm and Christiania passed Basmo. It is located on a steep hill in lavlendet between Rødenessjøen and Noyes Sea. It was the famous fortress builder and city planner Maj. Cicignon who planned the construction of Basmo. January 1683 was the first major structure clearly, a 18 meters high tower with a fern floors. Construction work continued for decades. In all, it was built ca. 40 houses on and below the fortress. Normally there was room for 100 men up at the castle and 140 men in the barracks below. In times of crisis, there could be many more. January 1717, during the war with Charles XII, there were 1350 man Basmo. The fort was armed with 24 cannons at the most.

The fortress grew gradually down to grass and forest and was largely unnoticed until 1977 when the Committee for the Protection of Basmo Fortress was formed. In 1985 it was possible to have protected the fortress, and in 1987 began the restoration of Basmo, which is still ongoing. The two lower floors of the tower, which was built in natural stone, is almost complete. In the vaults on the ground floor were stores and space for the crews, while there were guns in the second floor. Access: By Road 123 northwest of Rødenes, bordering Høland.

ØRJE LOCKS

Construction of the Halden Canal began in 1852. In the course of 1855 the canal in Stone River complete with locks at both Brekke and Krappeto. In the years 1857-1860 was Strømsfoss lock and Ørje locks built. The locks of Stone River, however, was destroyed in 1861, first in 1877, they were rebuilt. In 1924, the Falls at Stone River collected by Brekke, where it was built 4 chambers with a lifting height of a total of 26.6 meters. This meant that Krappeto locks were dammed. The locks in the Halden canal can be crossed by vessels that are 24 meters long, 6 meters wide and is 1.6 meters deep.

Ørje locks have a lift for a total of 10 meters. The locks are still operated by hand, which at its opening in 1860. On the west side of the locks is lock master house and gate house assistant, both in the Swiss style. The upper gate is a memorial stone canal builder Engebret Soot. This was built in 1936, 150 years after his birth. The locks are arranged theater performances and concerts.

Access: By E 18 just west of Ørje center. Folder Map of Halden watercourse. Halden Canal Company, Ørje.

THE STEAMSHIPS

Several of the steam ships that started sailing the Halden water way from the pioneer period are still existing and going strong. Four of them has Ørje as their homeport. The Jewel of the Crown is DS Engebret Soot, built as no. 1 at Nylands Verksted in 1862 and is equipped with a 60 IHP compound engine. This ship has been subject to a complete restoration and is the oldest operative steamship with propeller. DS Engebret Soot is available for charter as well as regular sailings.

RØDNES CHURCH

Rødenes medieval church is situated on a headland north of Rødenessjøen. This is the oldest church in Mark. We estimate that it was built in the 1200s. The church was originally a 17 m long nave Romanesque stone church with the right end gable of the choir. The walls were one meter thick. In the years 1703-1709 went through the church a comprehensive restoration and development. The church was extended by 5.5 mi west and got the present clock tower in the timber. At the same time, we built a porch on the west and vestry at the north side of the choir, both in three. Moreover, it was put into a window in the chancel and two windows in the nave to the south. Later, there has been less restorations. Still have østgavlene medieval timber structure and cladding is covered with shavings. The medieval roof truss is preserved, while the original shingle roof is covered with bricks. At the tower we find such Fredrik Fredrik IV (1690-1730) inscription. From the Middle Ages it preserved an early Gothic crucifix and a church bell. Access: Approximately 17 km north of Ørje.

SWIMMING

Tjuvholmen south of Rødenes Church, Tangen north of Ørje locks at the south of Øymarksjøen, Husborn at Bøensfjorden in southeast of Øymarksjøen, Østre Otteid at Stora Lee, Kolbjørnsvik at Kolbjørnsviksjøen southeast in the muncipality.

FISHING

At Fossebekkbrua, Gressvik, Otteidbrua and Rødkinn at Øymarksjøen and Ysterudvika, Kåtorp, Tjuvholmen, Kroksundbrua west from Skirfoss east of Rødenessjøen and Høvlertitomta south of Ørjefossen.