INNVIK / UTVIK
Innvik is a specially attractive village, surrounded by fjord and mountains but with an open landscape. It has good agricultural land, and, by western Norwegian standards, large and productive farms. The climate is favourable for the cultivation of fiuit, currants, berries and vegetables. There are three
clothing and textile factories in the village.
The oldest one, Innvik Ullvarefabrikk, is celebrathing its centenary in 1990. The firm's former factory building is said to be one of the largest wooden industrial buildings in Europe and is well worth a visit. In the village you will find several shops, a garden shop, a post-ofhce, a bank, a police-station, a doctor, a physio.therapist and a vicar.
Innvik Church, which dates from 1822, is open to visitors during the summer months, and former vicarage is also worth seeing. The old Langvin farm, which has previously been both a parsonage and an agricultural college, is beautifully situated on a slope a few hundred metres above the main road, with
a lovely view of the village and the fjord. The Langvin foundation is now modernising several of the buildings, which will be used for the tourist industry, providing accommodation, refreshments, courses and various activities.
The monumental parsonage, built in the late 18th century, will open
for visitors in the summer of 1999, and there will be a newly planted herb garden in the parsonage gardens. Innvik offers good condibons for bathing
in the fjord, and excellent opportunities for caneing and rowing as the bay is sheltered and therefore almost always calm.
Utvik is a lovely village on the southern side of the fjord, furthest to the west in the municipality of Stryn. The farmhouses radiate out from the village
centre in ever-higher rows in the nsing terrain. In the middle of the village, down by the fjord, lies the church, surrounded by idyllic old houses, mainly built in the Swiss style. The present church is more than 150 years old. It has been modified and extended, with a certain mixture of styles. The altarpiece and pulpit are from the 17th century and come from the tormer cruciform church. Until 1916, the farms on the northem side of the fjord were also part of the Utvik parish. The church is open for visitors during the summer months.
The Tiendebuda or tithe booth, (orginally built in 1719 and later extended), where people paid a tenth of all their crops, still stands on the main road opposite the church.
At some farms, you will find "old cottages" that have been well taken care of and which show how people used to live. Some grinding mills have also
Utvik used to be the main coaching station between Breim, south of Mount Utvik (Utvikfjellet), and Faleide, on the other side of the fjord. A small part
of the old coach road still remains.
There was an inn at a farm at Utvik for 250 years. The lovely white-washed building in the village centre is built in the Swiss style and has been extended and modified a few times. It is no longer a hotel, but
various artists exhibit their work and sell their own and locally produced souvenirs there. There is a pleasant atmosphere at the "Farm Inn Art Centre" ("Gjestgivergarden kunstsenter, Galleri 39"). Next to the art centre, in pleasant premises, lies "Bunadstova", where Norwegian national costumes are sewn and gifts and souvenirs sold.
West of Utvik, near the fjord, lies the idyllic small farming village of Tistam. It has no through traffic and the road ends at the Moldrheim farm. Tistam has a grocery shop and is connected to the rest of the municipality by a school bus system. The scenery here is lovely and the village is well worth a
visit if you enjoy peaceful, rural surroundings.