HomeAbout NorwayAdventuresTop destinationsEventsFamous Norwegians Forum
Search

Quicksearch

Menu

















Nome


Nome in Norway Nome municipality coat of arms

Population:
6,630

Areal:
429,7 km2


Nome Local Directory


Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Nome

Nome municipality has approximately 6.600 inhabitants and covers a area of 429,7 km2. The Nome region, consisting of the villages of Ulefoss and Lunde, is known as the "canal region" because six of the eight locks in Telemark are located here. The river rises 57 metres through the canal's six locks between Ulefoss and Flåvatn. The largest lock is at Vrangfoss, with a total of five locks lifting boats 23 metres from Eidselva (the River Eid) to Nomevann (Lake Nome). The Norsjø-Bandak canal, the name given to the stretch of the Telemark canal which runs between Ulefoss / Norsjø and Dalen, was built between 1887 and 1892.

The roads in Telemark were bad and the canal became a connecting link for traffic and communications between the east and west of Norway. Now it is an attractive service for tourists and the local population. Well-known industries, such as Ulefos Jernverk (Ironworks) and Norsk Tegl Bratsberg are located in Nome. There is also a lot of farming and forestry in the region.

TELEMARKSKANALEN

The Telemark Canal stretches 105 kilometres from Skien to Dalen. There are six municipalities which are known as Canal Municipalities: Skien, Nome, Kviteseid, Tokke, Sauherad and Notodden.

The Telemark Canal is the only canal system in Norway connected to the sea. 18 lock levels divided over 8 lock systems litt boats 72 metres above sea level to the lake of Flåvatn. From here beautiful lake and river reaches take the traveller on to Dalen, 150 km inland, in the heart of the mountains of southern Norway. The contrast between the broad agricultural districts, the wilderness and the old industrial sites makes the Telemark Canal one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Europe.

In addition, the water is clean and the fish live well! The Telemark Canal was completed in 1892 and 500 men had worked for 5 years to bring this waterway into the heart of Telemark. The canal is a living heritage site, and has kept its nineteenth century air, with manual operation of most of the lock gates. The beautiful old walls and lock systems have been preserved in their original form. Along the hanks of the canal you can still see the old lock-keepers' houses, the smithies, the sawmills, the watchmens' cottages and the jetties with warehouses and other buildings.

THE PASSENGER BOATS

Experience the ancient cultural history, the bustling crowds and travel through the locks as people did over 100 years ago. Enjoy the journey from the deck of one of the nostalgic canal boats: M/S Victoria, M/S Henrik Ibsen or M/S Telemarken. The boats run between may and september.

VRANGFOSS LOCKS

You can get to the Vrangfoss locks by taking a small turning off the Rv 359 between Ulefoss and Lunde. The locks system is the largest on the Telemark canals with a total of 6 locks and an elevation of 23 metres. It lies in a park with large conifers and many of the canal company´s characteristic buildings. Vrangfoss is the largest lock complex on the Bandak Canal with five locks and a lift of 23 metres. Before canalization, Vrangfoss was about two kilometres long with a fall of 25 metres through a narrow rock passage flanked by high overhanging walls. Vrangfoss was the cause of nearly insurmountable problems for loggers and takes its name from this (vrang = contrary, troublesome). It was said that logs could remain stuck in Vrangfoss for several years, that it was often not possible to loosen the old logs before new ones were brought in, and that up to 14 persons were employed year round to loosen the tangled logs. The friction sometimes caused fires. During the construction of the canal between 1887-1892, a 32-metre high dam with a 21-metre wide base was added to the five locks. This dam held back water as far as Lunde, raising the water level about two metres.

ULEFOSS LOCKS

With its three locks Ulefoss is the first of the lock facilities on the Bandak Canal, and raises boats past the 10,7 metre-high waterfall. Along the locks are buildings related to the canal. At the intersection south of the canal there is housing for the lockkeeper, foreman and lock-gate man; on the north side of the canal there is an old smithy. One of the former centres of Ulefoss once at this intersection, "Coal Square", as originally a storage place for charcoal for the iron works. There was an old store here, "Ulefoss Forbrugsforening", which was said to have had Norway's longest counter, 20 to 30 metres long. Coal Square is also the location of the old corner post office building known as "New York" which features elements of German art nouveau.

Ulefoss Bridge, dating from 1933, is a steel girder bridge with a sailing clearance of 12,9 metres. Ulefoss power station from 1963 was built following the enlargement of Tokke with a mountain reservoir to give a more constant supply of water. The present dam is from 1960-61. Half the earlier workers´ barracks at Aall´s sawmill are still standing on the north side of the river above the locks. The canal exhibit and the iron industry exhibit in the old building of Holla Savings Bank on the south side of the locks, shows the history of the Telemark canals with pictures and models. The iron industry exhibit displays objects from the iron industry at Ulefoss.

LUNDE LOCK

Lunde lock with its characteristic needle shape lies to the west of the centre of Lunde. This town is a major crossroads for passenger traffic on the Telemark canal. Coaches, trains and the canal all meet here.

THE CANAL FESTIVAL

The big event for school musicians along the canal. Held biannually.

THE CULTURAL TRAIL along THE BANDAK CANAL

Enjoy everything the canal has to offer at close hand in beautiful surroundings! The trail starts at the lock in Ulefoss and goes as far as Vrangfoss lock, covering a distance of about 5 km.

ULEFOSS ESTATE and CARRIAGE MUSEUM

Ulefos Hovedgård lies on a hill overlooking Uleross' centre. It has been called Norway's most important example of empire architecture. The mansion is surrounded by a beautiful park with a view of the Telemark Canal. There are guided tours of the mansion during the summer season and large patties must give prior notification. The Carriage Museum is located in the barn, an impressive collection of horsc-drawn vehicles used by the Aall family.

ØVRE VERKET

Old worker's houses which now contain an ex hibition, workshops and a confectioners. One of the old houses has period furniture and fittings, lies in Ulefoss.

HOLLA CHURCH RUINS

At Hollahaugen are the restored ruins of a stone church from the year 1100. It is the most beautiful viewpoint in the district, with thousand year-old trees, among peaceful, unspoiled natural surroundings and with the parsonage as its closest neighbour.

ULEFOSS MARINA

50 visitor berths. Good sanitary facilities. Near shops. Diesel pumps and boat/bike rental.

GUEST QUAY

Above Lunde lock, 25 berths. WC, drinking water, telephone, cafeteria selling some groce rics. Bike hire, battery charging etc. at the lock cafeteria.

CYCLING

The route along the canal starts in Ulefoss and continues through Lunde to Flåvann / Seljord / Kviteseid. There are many attractions along the way including: Eidsfoss lock, Vrangfoss lock, Nomevann lake with its rich wildlife, Lunde church in its beautiful setting, Lunde lock and cafe, the junction where the railway, road and canal meet in Lunde, Kjeldal lock, Hogga lock complete with lock keeper's house, guard post, blacksmith's forge and barns.

The old stretch of road known as «Murane» from Hogga to Røimal has been restored and now offers a very plcasant walk. Flabygd has a lively and varied cultural landscape. There are 3 quays in the area and the Omnes caravan by the idyllic Flåvatn lake. Alt hough the trail finishes in Seljord, you can continue your journey on the special ferry to Fjagesund. Bicycles for hire at the marina in Ulefoss and at Lunde Locks.

GOLF

Norsjø Golfclub is a golf course with 18 holes and a variation of difficulties. Drivingrange. The course is located near Romnes closed to Ulefoss.