homeaboutvarioustop destinationseventsdead or alive, famous norwegianstream, feed




Nøtterøy in Norway Nøtterøy municipality coat of arms


60,5 km2

Nøtterøy Local Directory

Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Nøtterøy

Nøtterøy municipality is an island municipality with 60,5 km2 at the disposal of its approximately 21.000 inhabitants in Vestfold´s. There are several new and attractive housing areas which blend in nicely with the older buildings on the island. Nøtterøy is a typical residential area.

The municipality consists of several large islands, amongst which Føynland and Veierland, together with innumerable smaller islands, all of which ane favorite picnic spots. Nature can offer steep cliffs, fields of flowers and woodlands. It is an eldorado for boat people, cyclists, ramblens, and for summer activities. The shopping centres on Nøtterøy ane concentrated around Borgheim and Teie market. The municipality's administration is at Borgheim, as well as the Cultural Centre.

Traditional industries like agriculture and shipping, as well as whaling and fishing, have been predominant on Nøtterøy. As one travels between the narrow straits along the east coast of Nøtterøy, one immediately thinks of sailors and sailing ships. One must also mention the connections the shipping company Wilh. Wilhelmsen has with Nøtterøy. Captain Even Tollefsen from Nøtterøy has been given the honour of having constructed the first usable system for the bulk transport of oil.

Three of Norway's previous Prime Ministens have connections to Nøtterøy: Abraham Berge, Trygve Bratteli and Jan P. Syse. Nøtterøy has famous sportsmen to its credit, ice-skater Fred Anton Maier, and kayak paddler Jan Johansen, both of whom have won Olympic Gold Medals. Linda Andersen won the Gold Medal in Sailing during the Summer Olympics in Barcelona in 1992. The latest approach on the list of sportstars is the skier Espen Bjervig.


At Søndre Hella is a restored buriel ground (1991) with over 20 registered graves from the early Iron-Age, ca. 500-1000 AD. Westward facing with view towards Vestfjord. At Søndre Hella and at Øra, Nøtterøy can boast of "The Devil's Card-table".


A former clay-pit at Teie was in 1959 made into an idyllic park area with a duck pond and a monument to the shipping company Wilh. Wilhelmsen, by Carl E. Paulsen.


Veierland has been part of Nøtterøy since 1964 (before then Stokke). The island lies protected between Nøtterøy, Tjøme and the mainland in Stokke. Veierland has a 17 km. coastline and offers tracks and gravel paths free from car traffic. The island is excellent for rambling and cycle trips in beautiful surroundings. Grave finds from the late Iron Age is proof of an early settlement.

Veierland today has 160 pemmanent residents (50 households) and about 400 cottages. The first school was built with money collected in 1861. In 1891 the building which still today serves as the school was moved into, it is well worth a visit. In 1870 the school had 66 pupils. Since 1900 the number of pupils has gone down to today's level of between 10 and 20. A village museum is estabiished in Veierland's oldest house "Rispestua" close to the school.

Apart from the school the island has it's own church, grocery shop, Post Office, Community Centre, small museum and cafe, "Dagros". The island has daily ferry connections from Tenvik on Nøtterøy, where there are parking facilities. During the summermonths there is also a ferry connection between Veierland and Engø / Sandefjord, which has become very popular with cyclists.


Fulehuk Lighthouse, was built in 1821. Mathias Føyn applied in 1793 to build a lighthouse on Fulehuk skerries. It was here that reflector lamps were used for the first time in Norway. It was closed down in 1989 when a new lighthouse was erected on the Hollender Reef, in the middle of the Oslo Fjord.


Bolærne is an archipelago in the outer part of Oslofjord, in the municipality Nøtterøy. The islands have a total land area of 2.6 km². The largest island, Mellom Bolæren, covers 1.1 km². The islands have been inhabited by fishermen from the 16th century. There was a coastal fortress from 1916 to 2002. The archipelago is included in the Færder National Park, which was established in 2013. The Department of Defence took over this group of islands in 1916, and extension of defence buildings began, mainly on Eastern Bolærne. On Mellom Bolærne there can still be seen remains of old dwellings, amongst which the hunting lodge of the Count Wedel Jarlsberg, dated 1840 and a Russian prisoner-of-war camp from 1944. Eastern Bolærne is today one of the coast artillery's exercise forts. Recruit school/military education (150). About 40 persons employed. No public admission on the islands. Safety zone, 50 metres.


Fortress with connections to the struggle for independence from Sweden, 1905. Military area. Holiday Centre for the Norwegian Armed Forces.


German coastal defence planned in 1944 and constructed between April 1944 and May 1945. The cannons at Vardås had calibre 38 cm and could, therefore, protect the whole of the outer Oslo Fjord against an attacking fleet. The cannons were removed after the war, but two enormous foundations are still visible. Information Board as well as a 38 cm grenade, at the upper position.


A cross-formed church built in stone. Consecrated to Our Lady. The parish church of Nøtterøy. Impressive and beautiful building from the end of the 12th century. The altar piece is dated as 18th century, painted by Jacob Lindegard. In the church is a leaflet which gives a short history about all of the churches on Nøtterøy. Just beside the church, there is a small park with a memorial also by Carl E. Paulsen, to commemorate those who died in the last world war.

Church Services Sundays and Holidays, 11 am. Evening services and concerts at various times throughout the year. The church is open every day between 9 am - 1 pm (except when funerals). The church is the centre point in the beautiful church and cemetry grounds.


Teie Church is one of the most active working churches in Vestfold. It is built of brick and was consecrated in 1977. The altar tapestry was made by Else Marie Jakobsen and the crucifix by Brit Sørensen. Church services are held every Sunday at 11 am.


Torød Church is a beautiful wooden church built in 1915.


Veierland Chunch is a beautiful wooden church built in 1905. The altar piece is made by Maria Vigeland.


Fishing possibilities are good in Oslofjorden.


Nøtterøy Golfclub is a golf course with 18 holes and a variation of difficulties. The course lies at Borgheim approximately 6 km from Tønsberg City Center.